It was great to raise the anchor, clean the anchor chain, anchor bridle and motor out of the anchorage.  It might not have been great to do the cleaning but it meant that the boat was moving and we were going to see some new spots.

We decided to sail along the east coast of Grenada for a better wind angle.  This meant fighting the winds for about 2 hours along the south side, but then a nice 6 hour sail north.  In the past, we sail the west side, which is protected from the winds for the first 3 to 4 hours, and then a harder slog into the winds for 3 to 4 hours.  Along the south coast the waves were a bit bumpy but we thought that is would be an hour or so and then a great sail up to Carriacou.  The sailboat Pollox was also going with us and with the sunny weather and 12 knots of wind looked promising.

As we were rounding the island and finally got our sails up and were heading north we heard a bang and found that our port shroud broke at the top of the mast.  There are 19 wires that make up the shroud and we had broken 13 of them so only 6 were holding the mast up.  Only 3 shrouds hold the mast to the boat so losing one really makes the mast unstable.  Quickly we dropped all sails, and  used our halyards to brace the mast hoping that we would not loose the mast overboard.  It was a rather nervous time until all the halyards were positioned and supporting the mast.   We had a brief discussion and decided the best option was to head back to Hog Island were the waters were nice and calm, and get it fixed.  We turned around and after a bit of nervous motoring, trying to keep the boat from any lateral rocking, we finally got anchored back at Hog Island.   Pollux was nice enough to shadow us back to harbor to make sure we stayed safe, which was really nice of them.

 Once back, many friends came over with offers of help, and then helped us re-stabilize the rig, and then Kris went up the mast and removed the broken shroud.   We took the broken shroud in, and got very lucky that the rigging store had the parts and wire needed, and were able make a new shroud for us.  We decided to get the other shroud replaced as well.  

When the parts came in, our friends on Escape Velocity, which is also a Manta catamaran came over to assist us.   Kris went up the mast installed the new shroud, then back down, and switch side, and then back up to install the other side.  Jack and Marce on Escape Velocity were a great help. and after all was installed and properly adjusted, then we sent Derek up the mast to remove the last spare line.

Now, we just have to leave again

 

 

 

11/21/13: almost leaving Hog Island  - rig failure
   

3 stays/shrouds


only 6 out of 19 wires left

Making a plan

Working on tensioning the rig

Derek is taking it all in.