Well, we thought we might head offshore after spending a couple of warm nights at the marina in South Carolina.  Dean thought the weather looked good, Kris disagreed.  We headed offshore based on Dean's thought that the wind would clock.  The weather was predicted to be 15 to 20 knots out of the west, clocking to northwest.  We headed offshore.  After about 2 hours of getting the snot beat out of us, we found the closest inlet back inshore and headed for it.  Four more hours of getting pounded by seas, and wind which was 20 to 35 knots out of the west and clocking southwest, and we finally found shelter back on the ICW in Georgia near Savannah.  Dean was wrong and Kris was right.

After a much needed good nights sleep, we decided that it would be a few days before the ocean settled down for some good sailing, so we would start motoring south on the the Georgia ICW, which we had never done.  We passethrough Savannah, Georgia, and seeing the homes along the waterway was very interesting.  Typical what you would think of the Georgia old distinguished home.  There is some money there in homes and in boats.  The further south on the ICW things started to change.  The geology there is mostly marshland with meandering waterways all though it, but it seemed that if there was a piece of dry land anywhere, you would find a small house on it.  Most times, the house was only accessible by water.    Some of the homes looked quite nice, and others a little rough, like in our photo.  It stayed cold, but the days were sunny and the scenery interesting.

After four uneventful days of motoring (we won't mention Dean running aground briefly), we arrived in St. Augustine, Florida.  Kris got us off and back into the channel.

We had been having problems with our port engine.  It ran fine, but the amount of white smoke coming out the exhaust was worrying Kris something awful.  Kris called her hero and master of Volvo engines, Brian McDonnell of McDonnell Marine Service in Connecticut.  Over the phone Brian diagnosed the issue as not white smoke, but white steam and told Kris to look at the mixing elbow.  We installed the new mixing elbow while in St. Augustine, and Kris was finally able to sleep nights with the problem solved.    Check out the photos Brian and give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done.

After St. Augustine, we motor sailed down the ICW in Florida.  We made great time with wind 8 to 20 knots out of the north we motorsailed with one engine and our jib.  We were quite proud of our boat and ourselves, as we passed by several other boats, and had better speed than  a 45' Lagoon Catamaran,  and a 45' Voyage Catamaran as well.

 We were able to get into Cocoa early enough to grab a bite for dinner at Five Guys Burgers with Phil Lago, who is Deans, cousin Linda's husband.  You might recall we spent Thanksgiving with them last year.  We had a great time with Phil, unfortunately Linda was in Washington at the time, so we did not get to see her.

We are now in Vero Beach, Fl.  We will get some much needed groceries and then down to Stuart, Fl, where Kris's folks are driving out from Oregon to meet us.  Should be a fun week, and a good time to do some serious provisioning for the trip to the Bahamas and beyone.




11/9/2012 -   Motoring the Georgia ICW

A small quaint home on the ICW near Savannah

One of the smaller boats that we passed at a marina

A home out in the marshland of Georgia

A zoomed in shot of same house

Derek is quite the climber

Old and new mixing elbow

Happy to have a working engine again